Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!



This is my Mum, Millie. She's 87 years old. Doesn't look it, does she? My sister Jacqui sent me this photo today via her mobile phone. Isn't modern technology wonderful?

My Mum is sitting on our bench at Leigh on Sea, looking out over the Thames Estuary. Amazingly, the sun is shining! The bench is a place my family visit often and dress up on special occasions. There are two plaques on the bench: one for my father, who died in 2006, and one for my nephew Jonathan, Jacqui's son, who died in 2009. He was only 28 and was taken from us very suddenly, in an accident.

I shall be visiting the bench myself next month. There will be flowers and pictures attached to it again on the anniversary of his death and a glass of JD and coke will be left on the seat for him! Well, somebody drinks it! Then we all go to lunch at the local pub and talk about him and Dad.

I hope this post isn't too depressing for you. I really do wish you all a really happy and successful New Year! We just like to remember the people who aren't here any more. 

2 comments: