Monday, March 21, 2011

Gorgeous photos - How do they do it?

I've been working on my photography this last week or so.  No, you can't see the results yet because I haven't managed to reach the desired standard.  I have investigated the inner workings of my elderly digital camera, experimented with backgrounds and props but, it seems, my main downfall is not enough light!  You wouldn't think that would be a huge problem here in sunny Spain but, unfortunately, sunshine is notoriously unreliable and hard to control.

I ditched my home made light box a while ago because it was too small to set up a good shot in.   I thought I would be able to take decent pictures with my two halogen spotlights but they weren't man enough for the job.  While my husband busies himself in the workshop, mounting on a stand the huge 500W lamp he brought home for me yesterday (overkill maybe? I just said I wanted more light!), I shall content myself with a stroll through the Artfire studios of various members of Jewelry Creators Unite in Numbers Guild.  Perhaps I'll pick up a few tips!

Linda Landig's pics are always well lit. The subject matter is pretty cool too!



Tali'sCreations photos are always artistically staged. Love that bit of driftwood!


Mixed Metals really gets in close!  Love those earrings too!


Gaelic Forge - the photos are well lit, staged nicely and the colours come out beautifully! These earrings are gorgeous!


This delicate necklace from aMagpiesDream is shown off really well on one of a jewellery seller's best props, a bust!


Whereas, the latest listing in my Bluetina studio only shows how far I have to go!  I am sure I can take a better photograph of this bracelet.  Let's see, shall we? My dear husband has just delivered my 500W lamp, ready for use!

No comments:

Post a Comment