Friday, July 29, 2011

Catching up....

This blog and I have not been getting along. I have been ignoring it, mainly because I haven't the foggiest idea what to blog about.

I was advised to start blogging by the people at Artfire.  It's supposed to increase traffic in one's shop by way of back links raising one's standing with Google. I think I understand that. What they want, though, is content and lots of it. Said content is supposed to be relevant. Relevant to my jewellery making, I suppose. Well, relevant is relative. I can't post anything about jewellery making yet because I haven't had the time to make any!

Also, since very few, if any, people actually read this blog, I have decided to post something here every day and treat it like a diary of sorts.  I'm talking to myself and there is nothing inherently wrong with that if it helps to sort my mind out.

I see the last post I did was about the Pisa weekend. Since then I have been to the UK for three weeks, come back with a really nasty cold and caught up with the bookkeeping for Shabby Sheep Boutique. That's my future daughter-in-law's shop in Brightlingsea, Essex.  Between them, Sheryl and my son, Ben, have four children.  Their life is hectic, to say the least.

This is Faye
This is Ethan

This is Thomas

And this is Alex
Opening a gift shop like Shabby Sheep in the middle of a recession is a very brave thing to do but it does seem to be going very well.  Sheryl is very quick to spot an opportunity and move the way her customers would like her to go.  Fish pedicures seem to be all the rage at the moment and she now has two tanks that would appear to be full of feet all week! Getting all the paperwork sorted was a Herculean task what with them being in England and me being in Spain but we got there in the end. Thank God for the internet, skype, scanners, drop boxes and the like. You really can do things at a distance now!

Now that Shabby Sheep is up to date, I can concentrate on Bluetina and Bluetinatoo.  I have more jewellery to make. I have more blogging to do. I have Facebook to keep up with.  I am trying not to think about Twitter but I'm probably going to do it. I have to do something about my descriptions - Google keep moving the goalposts on SEO so I'm not being found so often. I must remember to upload all my photos to Flickr. I must keep up with my obligations to Jewelry Creators Unite in Numbers, the Guild I belong to on Artfire. I have a list about three feet long of all the things I have to do. 

Well, I'm not going back to the UK until October so I have two whole months! Let us see what I can accomplish in that time. As it is very nearly the end of July, the next thing is a blog post for JCUIN. 

See you later!


2 comments:

  1. It does seem like you have to use all the possible social media available to promote your products, doesn't it? Most of your time seems to go in writing on your blog/ facebook page/ twitter and whatnot, instead of spending that time to do what you actually like to do, ie your craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, Suvi! You've hit the nail on the proverbial head!

    ReplyDelete